David Saper, MD, FAAOS Sports Medicine | Trauma | Joint Replacement | Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
David Saper MD is a board certified and fellowship trained orthopaedic surgeon and the founder and director of Edens Orthopaedic Center Ltd. Dr. Saper opened Edens Orthopaedic Center Ltd after many years practicing orthopaedics on the north side of Chicago.
He has advanced training and considerable experience in a variety of both non-operative and minimally invasive procedures to treat and repair sports and orthopedic injuries of the shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, and ankle.
He completed both medical school and an Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship at the prestigious University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine and served as an assistant physician for the University of Chicago Maroon's Athletic Department.
Dr. Saper also has considerable experience with fracture and trauma care and spent over five years treating patients with complex fractured bones in Chicagolands busy Level 1 trauma centers.
In addition to clinical care, Dr. Saper has presented multiple research presentations at national orthopedic conferences including the 'Orthopaedic Trauma Association,' the 'American Society for Surgery of the Hand,' and the 'American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.'
He continues to teach orthopaedic residents and is a faculty member who volunteers instructing orthopaedic surgeons in advanced techniques for both the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine and the Arthroscopy Association for North America.
Dr. Saper has published numerous peer-reviewed research papers, novel surgical techniques, and review articles in the orthopedic literature on the topics of sports and trauma, and currently serves as a reviewer for the highest impact orthopedic journal, The American Journal of Sports Medicine.
Dr. Saper is dedicated to the complete care of the individual and stays up to date with the latest techniques, technologies, and treatments to treat bone, cartilage, and joint disorders. He aims to collaborate with patients to help restore their mobility so they can reach their maximal potential in sport, work, and life.
Dr. David Saper, Orthopaedic Surgery - Advocate Health Care
David Saper MD - Orthopaedic Surgeon | Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement
Awarded Top Ten Trauma Papers of the 2016 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
American Journal of Sports Medicine - Peer Reviewer
- David Saper MD, Akash Shaw BS, Andrew Stein, MD. “Chiari Malformation Type 1 with Cervicothoracic Syrinx Presenting as Acute Thumb Necrosis: A Case Report.” Injury 45 (2014) 62–64.
- David Saper MD, Paul Tornetta III MD. “Intraoperative Control of Rotational Forces During Sliding Hip Screw Insertion- A Novel Surgical Technique.” Techniques in Orthopaedics. December 30th 2014.
- David Saper MD, Nina Capiro BS, Richard Ma MD, Xinning Li MD. “Management of Propionibacterium acnes Infection after Shoulder Surgery.” Textbook Chapter. Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine. Jan 8th 2015. Pubmed 25596729
- Jody Litrenta, MD, David Saper, MD, Paul Tornetta III, MD, Laura Phieffer, MD, Clifford Jones, MD, Brian Mullis, MD, Kenneth Egol, MD, Cory Collinge, MD, Janos Paul Ertl, MD, Michael Gardner, MD, William Ricci, MD, David Teague, MD, William Ertl, MD, Ross Leighton, MD, Ojas Joshi, MS. “Does Syndesmotic Injury Have a Negative Effect on Functional Outcomes? A Multicenter Prospective Evaluation.” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. Jan 29th, 2015. Pubmed 25635361
- David Saper MD, Jody Litrenta MD, Peters Otlans MPH, Paul Tornetta MD. “Factors Affecting Pain in Acute Ankle Fractures: A Prospective Evaluation. Injury 2015. DOI 10.1016/j.injury.2015.05.009. Pubmed 26021663
- David Saper MD, Kyle Lybrand MD, William Creevy MD, Xinning Li MD. “Paratenon tagging and anterior fasciotomy: A novel Achilles Tendon Repair Technique.” Orthopaedics. 2016 May 6:1-4. Pubmed 27158828
- David Saper, MD, Akash Shah, BS, Andrew Stein, MD, Andrew Jawa, MD. “Percutaneous Screw Fixation Without Bone Grafting for Delayed Unions and Nonunions of Minimially Displaced Scaphoid.” Accepted, in press: American Journal of Orthopaedics.
- H.J. Christiaan Swellengrebel, MS, David Saper, MD, Paul Yi, BS, Ryan Shin, MD, David Ring, MD, PhD, and Andrew Jawa, MD. “Nonoperative treatment of closed extra-articular distal-third diaphyseal fractures of the humerus: A comparison of functional bracing and long arm casting.” American Journal of Orthopaedics.
- David Saper MD, Akash Shaw BS, Andrew Stein MD. “Internal Fixation of Acute Scaphoid Fractures via an Open Dorsal Approach: A Radiographic and Clinical Outcome Evaluation.” Accepted with revisions. American Journal of Orthopaedics.
- David Saper MD, Kyle E. Lybrand MD, Kasey-Jean Bramlett PA-C, Michael S. Kain MD, Paul Tornetta III MD, Peter Althausen MD, Andrew J. Marcantonio DO, MBA. “Expedient Surgical Management of Hip Fractures while Therapeutically Anticoagulated: A Multicenter Investigation.” In revision, Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma
- David Saper MD, Xinning Li MD. “Novel Suture Loop Technique for Supra-pectoral Biceps Tenodesis.” Manuscript and video, Arthroscopy Techniques.
- Lahey Health and Medical Center Research Award